Three years ago I posted my recipe for Creme Filled Chocolate Cupcakes that our a family favorite around Easter-time. I'm giving the cupcakes a new, updated post with some better pictures and instructions. You can see my first post here...
My husband's family has a fun tradition of having a Easter picnic on the desert the day before Easter. Lots of family comes and meets at their "Eastering" picnic spot. The food always includes marinated grilled chicken/turkey (recipe to come), hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, etc. and if you're lucky there will be some of these cupcakes too.
Aunt Shaunna is the one that would make these fabulous cupcakes. I'm still trying to perfect the art of piping the creme filling into the center.
I tell my kids that these are "surprise" cupcakes, because it will be a surprise how much filling there is inside. You never know until you take a bite.
Creme Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
recipe from Shaunna H.
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes
- 1 box (or 24) chocolate cupcakes, baked and cooled
- 3 T. flour
- 3 T. sugar
- 2/3 c. milk
- 1/2 c. butter (or shortening)
- 1/3 c. + 1 T. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Filling and Frosting Directions:
- Mix together sugar and flour in saucepan. Slowly add milk and cook until thick, stirring often. Cool completely.
- In mixer, mix together butter, sugar, vanilla, salt. Add cooled milk/flour mixture. Beat on high for five minutes.
- Spoon creme filling into frosting bag. Insert frosting tip into the top of the cupcake and squeeze. (It's kind of hard to tell how much you're getting into the cupcake, so squeeze as much or as little as you like).
- Frost cupcakes with chocolate frosting (make your own or use some from the store).