This chicken noodle soup is an Instant Pot win! I've made it three times now (two batches in one day). Each time has been delicious! And each time I've made it I've simplified the process of making it.
In the past I've struggled making the perfect chicken noodle soup. I hadn't gotten the broth perfected, so I would usually thicken it and make it a bit more creamy, adding half and half to it. I've made homemade noodles many times too. This broth is perfect...flavorful, not too watery and not too thick.
The first time I made it I sauteed the chicken before pressure cooking everything together, like the recipe instructed. It was fine, but the chicken had a weird texture. So, I decided to use rotisserie chicken instead and adding it after the veggies and noodles were pressure cooked. So good! I love the texture and taste of rotisserie chicken.
I got the original recipe from Great Food Fast : Bob Warden's Ultimate Pressure Cooker Recipes, but I've changed it enough that I feel comfortable with posting the recipe here. (I usually don't post recipes that you can find in a cookbook or on someone else's blog).
So, here you go. The perfect chicken noodle soup, made in 30 minutes or so. It's seriously so fast, and very little work!
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle SoupPrintable recipe
Serve with: One Hour Rolls
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 or 6 ounces (or 2 big handfuls) dried egg pasta noodles (I like Country Pasta brand)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cooked chicken (I love rotisserie chicken), cubed
- 1 cup frozen sweet white corn kernels
- With the lid of the pressure cooker off, turn cooker to SAUTE and add the butter. Stir until melted.
- Toss chopped vegetables with flour until lightly coated. Saute onion, carrots, and celery in butter for 1 minute.
- Add thyme, chicken broth, chicken bouillon, noodles, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Securely lock the pressure cooker's lid. Check the steam vent so it's locked. Push the MANUAL button and cook for 5 minutes on HIGH pressure.
- Perform a quick release to release the cooker's pressure.
- Stir in cooked chicken and corn kernels. Let the chicken and corn warm up in the soup for a minute. Make sure to unplug the pressure cooker so you don't overcook the noodles.
I have the Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1, which is no longer available. Just for reference, I bought mine in 2016 on a Black Friday sale on Amazon for $68.97.
This 9-in-1 6 Qt looks amazing (has an egg cooker and yogurt making setting). Or this simpler 6-in-1 6 Qt version has all the settings I normally use for a good price.