I've made other granola recipes before, like this one which is full of 5 grains, wheat germ, nuts and fruit, but this recipe is by far my favorite. Maybe it's the macadamia nuts. Or the sweetness of the syrup. Or the little bit of saltiness mixed with the sweetness. It's kind of a treat, like eating a cookie for breakfast (without the guilt).
We made fruit/yogurt parfaits and topped it with this granola. Heavenly!
I think I need to make some more of this soon. Maybe today.
A Little Sweet & Salty Granola
- 6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- 3/4 c. maple syrup (pure or my homemade recipe)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. coconut (either sweetened or unsweetened works)
- 1/2 c. macadamia nuts
- 1 c. chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Stir the large portion of the oil mixture into the oats, coating evenly.
- Divide the granola onto two large baking sheets that are greased or lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time.
- Toss the nuts and coconut with the reserved oil mixture.
- Add the nut mixture to the granola mixture and bake another 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool (so you don't burn your tongue if you snitch a taste).